Sunday, September 1, 2013

A call from the School Counselor

Friday early afternoon I received a call from the school. I missed their call but noticed a voice mail was left. I am walking around my house trying to pack for the weekend when I hear a lady introduce herself as the school counselor and asking me to call her back. What? Really? This is only week two and she has already got in trouble for playing with her food. Of course I call back immediately and got ahold of the counselor. Thankfully it was just a check up call. She had met with chica (they meet with each child multiple times a year) and wanted to check on me and let me to know she is a delight. How wonderful of a school are they!? I mean, to get a call from the teacher during week one for a check up and then week two you get a call from the counselor. What other schools check on the parents and how they are adjusting to things? They just keep impressing me over and over.

That brings me to the question; How AM I adjusting?

I am wonderful. I feel so welcomed at her school. Every person seems to be extra nice and friendly. I mean, maybe they just want me to volunteer for the Fall Bonanza or sign up for other parent volunteer stuff but regardless, they are great.

She comes home singing new songs and talking about school. This is different then last year when she really just didn't have much to say. That could have been because they didn't really do to much but all is good. (side note: we loved her teacher from last year and she did learn a ton about the bible, which is always a wonderful thing)

I am jealous that I don't get to do things like wood shop and art class but I guess I can live through her right? That's my plan at least. This is going to be one amazing year.



cool thing:  instead of the kids telling the teachers when another kid does something or hurts their feelings, they encourage the kids to work it out. This is done by a wheel. The kids must attempt two different options before going to the teacher. On this wheel they have things like, the peace rug; kids sit don on this rug and take turns talking about their side of the situation. Going to Australia; one of the kids go sit in a chair from ikea and close the top of it and sit their until they are chilled out. They also have an option to make an I'm sorry card. Things to teach the kids about working things out. I love it.





No comments:

Post a Comment